NHS Blood and Transplant (NHSBT) is a Special Health Authority dedicated to saving and improving lives. We are a vital part of the NHS, providing a wide range of services including blood transfusion, organ transplantation and diagnostics. Few organisations have our ability to treat so many people and we deliver the best possible service to patients, donors and the NHS. The range of our work demands that our operations are world class, providing a safe, reliable and efficient supply across the UK by working seamlessly with an unparalleled variety of stakeholders including government, volunteers, the health sector and academia.
We were formed in 2005 by bringing together the National Blood Service and UK Transplant. We are now one of the largest and most effective organisations of its type in the world. We employ over 5,400 people across the UK, with total revenue of over £417 million, delivering blood, and blood-based therapies across England; Diagnostic and Therapeutic services globally; and organ donation and supply services for the whole of the UK.
To achieve this, we:
- Collect and process over 1.4 million units of blood and platelets annually to ensure a constant supply of blood to hospitals from 5,500 donors giving blood every day.
- Make possible some 9,000 organ and corneal transplants every year.
- Manage the NHS Organ Donor Register (which currently has nearly 24 million names) and the British Bone Marrow Registry.
- Support a significant research and development programme operated in partnership with a number of the UK’s leading universities.
- Provide expert advice to other NHS organisations, the Department of Health, Ministers and devolved administrations.
In 2017/18, our donors provided:
- 1.4 million units of blood.
- 4,035 organs.
- 5,800 tissue donations.
- 1,400 banked cord blood units.
We are immensely proud that our activities support the incredible altruism and generosity of donors and bring communities together across the country.
To find out more, please click here to go to our website to view videos which explore the journey of donors.