Chief Digital Information Officer
Salary: £131,301 – £146,450
Location: National role with the ability to travel UK wide and some international travel on occasion.
At NHS Blood and Transplant (NHSBT) we know that first class IT services play a critical role in donation and transplantation across the UK. It’s a fundamental part of our goal to be the best donation service in the world for blood, organs, tissues and stem cells. And that’s why we need a visionary leader to frame the digital, data and technology solutions that will make it happen.
This is an unequalled opportunity to play a key role in the strategic direction of our organisation. Working directly for the Chief Executive Officer, you’ll take on a high-profile board-level role at the heart of the NHS Blood & Transplant’s Senior Leadership team. You will develop and deliver the IT services that keep our donation and transplantation services running efficiently and smoothly.
You will lead our transition away from legacy technology stacks to the delivery of user-centred platforms, products and services that will help our organisation to deliver outstanding operations. As part of this, you will work with many stakeholders throughout NHSBT to drive an appetite for innovation and create a roadmap that will carefully balance your objectives with their needs.
Strong leadership is also key to this role, as you will head a sizeable co-located team of around 250 employees. You will be expected to review the team’s structure, roles and operating model to improve our capabilities and deliver our ambitious strategy. On top of this, you will inspire confidence to the highest levels across your team, stakeholders and the senior leadership.
A board-level leader, you will have an exceptional track record leading complex portfolios of digital, data and technological change – everything from infrastructure and legacy systems to data solutions and critical 24/7 nationally-based operations. You will also have experience dealing with considerable budgets and large teams, as well as negotiating and influencing decisions at a high level.
We’re looking for personable, confident professionals who always strive for continuous improvement and innovation. Excellent judgement, networking and influencing skills underpin all your work, along with a genuine commitment to diversity in the workforce.
You will be educated to degree level or equivalent and be able to demonstrate your continuing professional development.
Applications are now closed.
Three small words, one big difference – Caring, Expert and Quality.
Together we’ll save and improve more lives than ever
- Act as an effective member of the Executive Team and Board.
- Influence the strategic direction of the organisation by highlighting the opportunities offered by digital, data and emerging new technologies to transform service delivery.
- Develop and deliver a strategic roadmap of digital, data and technology change to underpin NHSBT’s future vision, strategy and plans.
- Build the capability, capacity and leadership in the DDaT function to deliver an ambitious programme of change.
- Provide outstanding leadership to a distributed team of approximately 250 ensuring that individuals are highly motivated and reach their potential through development.
- Act as a role model to engage, motivate, facilitate, communicate, coach and influence colleagues across NHSBT so that the technology agenda is understood, owned and fully aligned to business needs.
- Inspire confidence at the highest level – regularly step outside own command and actively influence peers, senior leaders and key stakeholders.
- Ensure that the DDaT function develops and retains a reputation for outstanding customer service, reliability and resilience.
- Create and build constructive and positive partnerships – actively seek to build collaborative working arrangements.
- Secure widespread support for an ambitious, iterative programme of work that will truly act as an enabler for the business and will improve organisational efficiency and effectiveness.
- Manage expenditure within the Directorate budget of between £30m and £40m.
Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate the following skills and experience
- A board level, transformative leader with experience of defining and delivering technology enabled change in a safety critical and/or regulated environment.
- A track record of direct responsibility for budgets and teams, adept at delivering high quality services whilst balancing service and financial pressures.
- Experience of developing strong relationships and representing organisations in negotiating and influencing decisions and strategy at board/ministerial level.
- Experience of developing the services of an organisation to deliver long-term sustainable and customer focused provision.
- Exceptional delivery track record and demonstrable ability to drive forward productivity and efficiency savings across a large organisation in line with key strategic objectives.
- Strategic, enterprise-wide view and inspiring, coherent and inclusive leadership style.
- Sophisticated approach to high value commercial and supplier management within the context of technology change.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent with evidence of continuing professional development.
Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate the following personal attributes:
- A personable and self-confident professional who is able to promote a culture of excellence, openness and achievement and is committed to continuous development of self and staff.
- Excellent political awareness, judgment, networking, influencing and negotiation skills and a familiarity with representing the organisation and interacting with diverse stakeholders, inspiring confidence and building credibility at all levels.
- An interest and curiosity about developments in patient care and how the digital agenda could be shaped to improve patient outcomes.
- Passionate commitment to promoting diversity.
- Hard-working, robust and resilient individual with drive & determination to deliver.
- Strong personal credibility and gravitas.
To view or download the candidate pack, please click here.